Here is a comparison of these two.
Coyote Facts and Information
Coyote or Canis Latrans are mostly found in America and can easily adapt to any weather conditions. They can be often seen in the grasslands, forests and deserts of Northern America. They belong to the family of dog and resemble the structure as well.
- Coyotes are the really fast animal and can reach a speed of 40 mph when necessary.
- Coyotes are widely known for howling at the moon. They basically howl to communicate with each other at a certain location. They usually hunt at night. They belong to a group of smart and intelligent animals. They can hear any type of sound clearly and have great eyesight.
- Coyotes are smaller than wolves and similar to a medium sized dog. The length from head to bottom is about 36 inches or 90 cm. The tail is around 16 inches (41 cm) long. Coyotes are not that much heavy and their weights vary from 20-51 lb. The colour of their fur is usually grey, brown or white. This colour depends upon the place where they live.
- They are known for their teamwork that they show while hunting. They are a highly intelligent animal and hence mostly hunt in groups.
- Coyotes normally eat small creatures like rodents, fish, frog, etc. They are not very picky about what they eat and are an omnivorous animal which means they eat both meat and vegetation. Coyotes are also known to hunt for snakes and other reptiles as well.
- Their mating period is around February and March. The female gives birth to the offspring in groups. This group number can vary from 3 to 12. Both the male and female take care of their baby carefully.
- Coyotes sometimes also mate with dogs and their babies are known as coydogs.
- Coyotes are not an endangered animal and their population varies from normal to high. They help farmers by killing the rodents and the other insects that may harm the crop.
Gray Wolf Facts and Information
Wolf also belongs to the same family, Canine, as Coyote does. In the canine family, their population is highest except for some dog species. They eat meat and are dangerous animals. Though they are an intelligent animal, from past few years, they have earned a bad reputation for their extreme wild work in which they also killed humans.
- The life-span of an average wolf varies from 6 to 13 years whereas few can live up to 20 years.
- They are larger than coyotes hence are more dangerous. The normal length of a wolf varies from 40 to 65 inches (from mouth to tail) whereas the weight can go up to 200 lbs. Due to their bigger size than coyotes they are considered to be more dangerous than coyotes.
- They are known to cover a long range and can travel a distance of up to 3,728 miles if required. Hence they possess a great stamina which is also one of the reasons that they are dangerous animals.
- They are found at many places in the world hence the size and colour of them also vary from place to place. Their lifestyle also changes from place to place.
- The leader of the male group is known as an alpha male whereas the leader of the female group is known as an alpha female.
- Wolves are known for their unity and when a young takes to birth the entire group take care of that offspring.
- Their speed can go up to 43 miles per hour in extreme cases. But they can’t run for a longer period of time.
- The number in the group of wolves can go up to 40 which show their unity and they also do hunting in groups and in that case, they become more dangerous than usual.
- The wolf pair will continue to mate until and unless one of the mates dies. Wolf partners are known to live together for many years.
Coyote vs. Gray Wolf Comparison Table
|Average Head & Body Length
|39 to 53 in
|41 to 63 in
|18 to 44 lb
|95 to 99 lb
|North America, Mexico, Central America
|North America, North Africa, Eurasia
|Paws and claws, also uses their teeth
|Paws and claws, also uses their teeth
|Average Life Span
The duel between Coyote vs. Gray Wolf
It is very evident from the above facts that gray wolves are far more dangerous than coyotes. The size of the wolves and their aggressive nature while hunting makes them a dangerous animal, whereas coyotes are wild animals.
Coyotes are omnivorous whereas Gray Wolves are carnivorous and this fact proves that when the situation arises wolves can tear apart any organism in their way. Coyotes also feed themselves by eating vegetations hence are less dangerous when compared to wolves.
If a coyote and a wolf ever meet then there are high chances that a wolf will win due to its aggressive nature and its size. The wolf has an extra advantage over coyote due to its size and dimensions. Coyotes are lighter and smaller than Wolf. It is better for humans to maintain a distance from both as you never know what is going on their mind.
Videos of Coyote and Gray Wolf